Universal Credit

Are you of pension age, jobless and wondering what the future is going to look like? Don't worry, you can start securing it by applying for Universal Credit or a Jobseeker's Allowance. The option you choose will mainly depend on your National Insurance record.

If unemployed at the moment and this is stressing you out, sign up for our email list by filling in the search bar above and we will keep you updated on new openings.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a government's welfare reform policy. Though there are some pushbacks when it comes to the use of Universal Credit, there is a high probability that in a few years, people will no longer be using Jobseeker's Allowance {JSA}.

Jobcentres that are currently warming up to Universal Credit include Treorchy Job Centre, Oldway House Job Center and Bute Street Job center just to name a few. Universal Credit is expected to replace the following' legacy benefits':

  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance {ESA}

Am I Eligible for Universal Credit?

To be eligible for universal credit, you must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Be 18 years or older
  • Live in the UK
  • Have savings of not more than £16,000
  • Be eligible for pension

How Does Universal Credit Work?

Instead of having multiple payments, universal credits give the holder one monthly payment to cover their living costs. If this is done between two people, then the amount is divided between you two. You can get extra cash if you meet the following conditions:

  • If you pay for childcare
  • If you have more than one child
  • If you have a health condition
  • If you are disabled
  • If you have a disabled child
  • If you care for a disabled person

What is the Difference Between Universal Credit and Older Benefits

  • Unlike other benefits, Universal Credit is for both unemployed and employed citizens
  • Universal Credit pays you a single payment each month rather than quarterly or fortnight
  • Rent is now part of your Universal Credit payment

Note: Your Universal Credit is dependent on your income. If your income increases, your Universal Credit earns you less money at the end of the month.

Personal Independent Payment

Personal Independent payment is one of the most popular benefits at the moment. It was created to replace Disability Living Allowance and falls under the Department for Works and Pensions {DWP]. This benefit is for people with long term illness and disability.

If you have this cover, expect to earn a weekly sum of £23.20 - £148.85. Keep in mind that the amount you get is dependent on how the condition affects you and not the type of disease.

To claim your PIP benefit, you require to have the following information:

  • Your contact details
  • Date of birth
  • Your national insurance number
  • Your bank account number
  • Your doctor's name and telephone number
  • Times and Address of hospitals you have visited while abroad {If this applies}

Note: All PIP claims should be made by phoning the PIP helpline, which is more effective than visiting a Job center near you.

Abolished Benefits

Incapacity benefit was replaced with the Employment and Support Allowance on 31st January 2011. In 2013, the UK government abolished the social fund, crisis loans, and community care grants. The social fund office is now in charge of Budgeting Loans.

Budgeting Loans

These are interest-free loans offered by the Social Fund office to people who would like income-related benefits such as:

  • Rent in advance
  • Funeral costs
  • Footwear
  • Repaying hire purchase loans
  • Traveling costs
  • Furniture

Keep in mind that these loans are only available to those without Universal Credit. If you have Universal Credit apply for a Budgeting Advance loan instead.

How to Apply for a National Insurance Number

If you would like to apply for a National Insurance Number, you will require to make a call at 7p per minute and provide the following :

  • Residence permit
  • Driving certificate
  • Birth certificate


  • Adoption certificate

  • Marriage certificate {If Married}

  • If your National Insurance Number is lost, fill out a CA5403 form online.
  • icon

    thumbnailWhat is the Jobcentre Plus?
    A layman's guide to the Job Centre Plus and it's services for job seekers and employers.
    thumbnailWhat is Income Support?
    Income Support is available to UK residents aged 16 to 59 who unable to seek full time work.
    thumbnailWhat is Job Seekers Allowance?
    Jobseeker's allowance is the benefit paid to unemployed people who are actively looking for work.
    thumbnailWhat are Job Fairs?
    Job Fairs provide a great opportunity to meet many local employers.
    thumbnailJobCentre Plus Offices
    Where to find your local JobCentre Plus offices.
    thumbnailWhat is Pathways to Work?
    Pathways to Work helps people with disabilities or health conditions that make it difficult for them to find work.
    thumbnailAbout Disability Employment Advisors
    If you have a health condition or a disability that affects your ability to work, JobCentre Plus offers a service for disabled workers by putting them in touch with a Disability Employment Advisor (DEA). Whether you have just lost your job or ha...
    thumbnailHow to Contact Jobcentre Plus
    JobCentreGuide is an independent guide to JobCentre Plus services and NOT in any way affiliated with JobCentre Plus or other government bodies. If you have any queries or want to ask a question or make an appointment, you will need to contact th...
    thumbnailHelp with moving from benefits to work – Getting Help
    Your Jobcentre Plus work coach can help you by giving advice on the support available when returning back to work.
    thumbnailHelp with moving from benefits to work – Starting Your Own Business
    Your Jobcentre Plus work coach at your local Jobcentre Plus can tell you about resources which can help you to start your own business.
    thumbnailHelp with moving from benefits to work – support when you start working
    When you go back to work, this does not mean that you have to give up all of your benefits. Some benefits may carry on and there may be others available to you once you have started working.
    thumbnailHelp with moving from benefits to work – Work Experience and Volunteering
    Help with moving from benefits to work – Work Experience and Volunteering
    thumbnailHelp with moving from benefits to work – Job Search Programmes
    Jobcentre Plus can provide support to help you prepare for, find, and stay in work. They can give you training, guidance and work placement programmes, and schemes such as work experience, volunteering and job trialling. They can also support yo...
    thumbnailResources for Employers
    If you are an employer seeking advice on finding the right employees, we can help! Please browse our articles below for tips on how to scout new talent.
    thumbnailInformation on Jobcentres and the Coronavirus
    Jobcentres throughout the UK have adopted and adjusted their operational models based on the prevailing conditions. Ideally, a Jobcentre gives out advice on the available jobs and also facilitates unemployment benefits to British citizens. The c...
    thumbnail5 Reasons You Need a Job Coach
    Do you feel stuck in a career that you do not want? Or do you want to progress in your career, but you feel demotivated and stuck? If the answer is yes, you need a job coach. A coach is an individual who specialises in helping people prepare for...
    thumbnail5 Signs You Are Ready to Hire a Career Coach
    A career coach is an expert planner who offers professional advice on how to go about a job interview. The coach also helps create a professional resume and offers guidance to employees on scaling in their career paths. It is important to unders...